Thursday 14 October 2010


I have just realised how much I love Cathays High School. It's fun to be around your friends and to meet new kinds of people everyday but it is not the things we learn that I am drawn to most, it is the fabulous and interesting people that I meet every day. Everybody has a story to tell about themselves (whether it’s interesting or not!) and these stories have given me a wealth of knowledge. Not facts, anyone can learn facts, butknowledge. Wisdom about the world and its inhabitants, about maturity and about being compassionate and empathetic. During these past few years at school, I have developed confidence, maturity and poise but most of all I have learned to be compassionate and understanding.

As I have said many times before, I try and live my life by the quote “Be nicer than necessary, because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.” Although many people talk to you with a smile on their faces, that smile often masks a deep sadness or struggle. Each person who walks into your life is having to deal with something, and a smile could be all they need to take their mind off it.

So next time someone really grumpy ignores your greeting, smile and give them a compliment. They may think you are being insincere by greeting them, especially if you work in a shop, but if you give them a genuine, honest compliment it is sure to brighten their day.



No comments:

Post a Comment